We have discussed water filters before, but when it comes to the best well water filtration system, people still need to clarify some things. In the United States, about 15-20% of the population relies on private wells for their daily water needs. For this reason, more and more people are looking for the best iron filter for well water to cleanse their homes of this metal.
Why Do You Need Iron Filters for Well Water?
Unfortunately, contamination of well water is a problem, especially when it comes to iron, other heavy metals in water, chemicals, pesticides, and so on. In the framework of the general U.S. water contamination crisis, we cannot rely on DIY iron removal from our drinking water. While we can remove iron at home through various means, severe levels of iron contamination require professional methods – iron filters for well water.
Iron is a particularly annoying problem, as it gives the water an unpleasant taste and smell. Moreover, rust stains on your bathtub, toilet, sinks, and even on your clothing mean that you need to get the best iron filter for well water to counter the effects of unfiltered (and health-hazardous) well water.
Why Is an Iron Filter For Well Water Important?
Most water filters, no matter their type, remove iron from the water to some extent. Nevertheless, an iron-oriented well water filtration system will do a better job than other regular filters in improving the quality (looks, taste, smell, and health benefits) of your home water. Another important thing you need to remember about such products is that some of them come also with incorporated water softeners for hard water and even alkalization technology.
How Did We Choose the Best Iron Filter for Well Water for this List?
We spent a significant amount of hours reviewing some of the best whole house water filters and reverse osmosis water filters to pick the few among the many. We also talked to users and manufacturers about each product’s best features and tech specs, focusing on each one’s ability to remove iron and provide healthy safe water for everyone.
As you probably understand by now, the best iron filter for well water – independently of its type – will probably remove many more contaminants from your water and allow you to enjoy fresh and healthy drinks, soothing showers and baths, and pure water for your cooking.
Below, you will find 5 of the best iron filters for well water that we reviewed in depth and two other contenters we will review in the future should you need our opinnion on them!
The Best Iron Filter for Well Water: Our Top 5 Choices!
|Product Name||Well Water Filter Type||Filter Stages||Filter Life||Iron Type Removal||Contaminants Removal||Best For|
Home Master HMF3SDGFEC 3-stage Iron Filter for Well Water
Check Latest Price
|Whole House Well Water Filter||3||1 year||All||Manganese, sediment, chemicals, etc.||EDITORS’ CHOICE: Green & Healthy Living|
Apex 3-Stage Iron Filter for Well Water
Check Latest Price
|Whole House Well Water Filter||3||6 months||All||Heavy metals, chloramines, THM, TCE||Commercial Use|
Culligan WH-HD200-C Iron Filter for Well Water
Check Latest Price
|Whole House Well Water Filter||1||3 months||Rust||Scale, dirt, sand, silt, bad taste, odor, chlorine, etc.||Price/Value Ratio|
iSpring RCC1UP-AK 7 Stage Iron Filter for Well Water
Check Latest Price
|Under Sink RO Well Water Filter||7||3-6 months||All||Chlorine, fluoride, heavy metals, bacteria, giardia, viruses, etc.||Iron Removal+UV Sterilization+Alkalization|
Home Master Hydroperfection RO Iron Filter for Well Water
Check Latest Price
|Under-Sink Reverse Osmosis||9||6||All||Chloramines, chlorine, chromium, fluoride, pharmaceuticals, heavy metals, dissolved solids, microorganisms||Iron Well & City Water|
The Best Whole House Iron Filter for Well Water
When you are looking for an iron filter for well water, you should look into the best whole house water filters on the market. You should do this if you have a large home and family and you want an iron and contaminants-free well water for all your daily water needs. Keep in mind that a well water filtration system with good specs also works well for commercial uses (restaurants, cafes, offices, etc.). Now, let’s see each iron filter for well water in the whole house department and help you make the best choice!
1. Home Master HMF3SDGFEC 3-stage Iron Filter for Well Water
If you wonder what is the best whole house iron filter, our answer is this: one of the best whole house water filters available today and our editors’ top pick as the best iron filter for well water for green and healthy living, the Home Master HMF3SDGFEC is an excellent choice. It works best with large homes and families, able to meet all your clean, safe water needs and even exceed your expectations. We have discussed this product extensively on a previous occasion, but let’s remind ourselves what it can do for your well water!
Best For: LARGE HOMES AND FAMILIES
RESIDENTIAL WELL WATER FILTRATION SYSTEM
Home Master HMF3SDGFEC 3-Stage Iron Filter for Well Water
- 15 GPM flow rate
- 100,000 gallons filter capacity
- 1-year filter life
- 3 filtration stages; contains iron filter; removes 95% of iron (1 micron), manganese, sediment, etc.
- 24 x 9 x 25 inches
- 48 pounds
The Home Master HMF3SDGFEC 3-stage is the best iron filter for well water from multiple points of view. It ensures you live a green life and enjoy fresh, pure water without waste and concern. Moreover, its durability, excellent tech specs, and features, as well as its capacity to purify heavily contaminated well water make it a great choice for large families and homes.
2. Apex MR-3030 3-Stage Iron Filter for Well Water
With its excellent tech-specs, features, price, and little to no maintenance requirements, the Apex MR-3030 is the best iron filter for well water if you want a hi-tech product with NSF certification and increased durability. We have also discussed it in length a while back, but this product is worthy of a reminder and of praise.
Best For: COMMERCIAL WELL WATER FILTRATION SYSTEMS
Whole House Iron & Hydrogen Reduction Systems
Apex 3-Stage MR-3030
- 15 GPM flow rate
- 20,000 gallons filter capacity
- 6 months of filter life
- 3 filtration stages: removes 99% of iron and dissolved metals; contains sediment block; stops the buildup of bacteria, algae, fungi, and scale
- 30 x 24 x 12 inches
- 54.2 pounds
The Apex iron filter for well water is one of those whole house water filters that come with a handful of benefits at an incredible price. It will make a top-notch investment in case you want to enjoy pure, clean, and iron-free water in your cafe, shop, restaurant, or office. The features are something to invest in, while the product’s overall durability makes it a plus for commercial use.
3. Culligan WH-HD200-C Iron Filter for Well Water
This whole house water filter for well water is one of the best pieces of equipment if you are looking for a compact and reliable well water filtration system. Certified by WQA against NSF/ANSI 372 for low lead compliance and NSF/ANSI 42 for material safety and structural integrity, this iron filter for well water will do the job of cleaning your water in your home, but also protect the appliances and pluming from sediment and scale.
Best For: PRICE/VALUE RATIO
Whole House Heavy Duty Filtration Systems
Culligan WH-HD200-C Iron Filter for Well Water
- 4 GPM flow rate
- 10,000 gallons filter capacity
- 3 months of filter life
- If you choose the right filter cartridge for your needs, the filter removes rust, scale, dirt, sediment, chlorine, and more
- 7.5 x 8.3 x 16.3 inches
- 3 pounds
Why Choose the Culligan WH-HD200-C Whole House Iron Filter for Well Water?
Besides its certifications and proved reliability and efficiency (just read the users’ reviews), this iron filter for well water is also the best money can buy. The amazing price comes with a solid warranty backup of 2 years. But let’s see other product features that you might enjoy!
- Compatible with Culligan filter cartridges: R50-BBSA, CW25-BBS, CP5-BBS, CW5-BBS, RFC-BBSA;
- The package includes WR-HD housing wrench, mounting bracket, filter life monitor, and filter monitor battery;
- It also features bypass shut off valve and integrated bracket design;
- You can download the instruction manual – in multiple languages – for quick and easy installation.
|Best whole house iron filter for well water for price/value ratio||It may leak if you do not install it correctly|
|Excellent features and tech specs|
|Good warranty policy|
|Enthusiast customers’ reviews|
The Culligan iron filter for well water is a whole house filtration system able to maintain your water clean and your plumbing safe. With its heavy-duty design, amazing price for the tech specs, warranty, and reliability, it is clearly worth a shot. While it would be best to call a plumber for the optimal installation, maintenance, and care of this product are easy. The device itself makes life easy for you, as it features monitors and notifications for you to know when you should change the filter. A bargain, really!
4. Aquasana EQ-WELL-UV-PRO-AST Whole House Iron Well Water Filter System w/ UV Purifier & Salt-Free Descaler
Best For: WATER IRON FILTRATION AND DESCALING
Whole House Iron Water Filter with UV and Descaler
Aquasana EQ-WELL-UV-PRO-AST Whole House Well Water Filter System
- 7 GPM flow rate
- 1 million gallons capacity
- Filter life: 10” pre-filter – 1-3 months & the 20” lasts 2-3 months
- Removes 97% of chlorine, 99. 9% of viruses and bacteria and reduces harmful contaminants like iron, lead, mercury, herbicides, pesticides, VOCs, and more
- 69 inches L x 57 inches H x 10.5 inches diameter
The Aquasana Whole House Well Water Filter System with UV filtration and salt-free water descaler is one of the most interesting contenders of this year when it comes to getting the best iron filter for well water. This is a massive hybrid between a whole house water filter and a salt-free water softener that does an incredible job at removing iron and many other contaminants from your well water. We put it on this list because of its tech specs and features. If you want us to review this iron filter for well water in detail, let us know in the comment section below.
5. iSpring WGB32BM 3-Stage Whole House Water Filtration System with Iron & Manganese Reducing Filter
Best For: IRON AND MANGANESE FILTRATION
3-Stage Whole House Iron Water Filter with Iron and Manganese Filter
iSpring WGB32BM 3-Stage Whole House Water Filtration System
- Up to 15 GPM flow rate at maximum 25 PSI
- 100,000 gallons capacity
- Filter life: Up to 1 year
- Reduces iron (MAX 3.0 ppm down to 0.01 ppm) and manganese (MAX 1.0 ppm down to 0.01 ppm), sediment, chlorine, bad taste and odor
- 21 x 8 x 28 inches
- 3.06 pounds
You have heard if iSpring before when we reviewed some of the best reverse osmosis water filters on the market and the best under-sink water filters for your home. In other words, you can trust iSpring to deliver a whole house water filter that rises up to the reputation. This system, in particular, drew our attention this year because it comes with a specific iron and manganese filter that does wonders for your well water. According to the manufacturer,
The first stage high capacity polypropylene sediment filter is able to achieve filtration down to 5 microns; the second stage CTO Carbon Block filter is made of high-quality coconut shell carbon for maximum filtration efficiency and filter life. Both are tested by an independent third-party to meet NSF/ANSI standards.
As you can see, this is a powerful iron filtration system for well water you do not want to miss this year! Should you need an extensive review of this product, please let us know in the comment section at the end of this guide!
Best Under-Sink Well Water Filters
Under-sink water filters are the best solution you can find when you want to remove not only iron, but also sediment, scale, dirt, and almost all water contaminants you can think of from your drinking water. An under-sink water filter also has a tremendous environmental impact, as it is one of the many solutions to give up plastic water bottles altogether.
For this category, we chose two under-sink water filters we mentioned before, but it is time to look again at their tech specs to understand why they are so efficient as iron filters for well water!
6. iSpring RCC1UP-AK 7 Stage Iron Filter for Well Water
This product is a dream that came true when it comes to water purification, water sterilization, and water alkalization. Sure, you can buy a separate water ionizing machine for alkaline water but why not go with the full package this under-sink filter provides? After all, it purifies your drinking water, sterilizes it, and makes it alkaline with one turn of the tap! Let’s see what this is all about!
Best For: Well Water RO Filter + UV Sterilizer + Alkaline Re-mineralization
COMBO WELL WATER FILTRATION SYSTEM
iSPRING RCC1UP – AK UNDER SINK WELL WATER FILTER
- Up to 100 gallons/day capacity
- Normal flow rate
- 3-6 months filter life
- Removes iron, sediment, over 1,000 contaminants, chlorine, and fluoride. The UV sterilizer removes viruses and bacteria
- 14.5 x 8 x 19 inches
- 35.3 pounds
Why Choose the iSpring RCC11UP – AK 7 Stage Under-Sink Well Water Filter?
iSpring is a reputable brand trying to outdo itself with each product. This particular under-sink water filter for well water is a technological wonder – and it shows in the customers’ reviews as well. It does not only remove pollutants, contaminants, VOCs, and TDS in water, but it also sterilizes it with UV technology and makes it alkaline by balancing its pH. Not convinced yet? Let’s see other tech specs and features then!
- 90%+ TDS (total dissolved solids) rejection rate;
- Thin-film composite semipermeable RO membrane filters down to 0.0001 micron;
- RO membrane rated at 100 gallons per day, superior to the standard 75 GPD membranes on most systems;
- The 11W ultraviolet sterilizer kills viruses and bacteria;
- The filter powers on and off with water flow.
|Best RO under-sink well water filter with UV sterilization and alkalization||A bit bulky and heavy|
|Great performance for highly-contaminated well water|
|1-year money-back guarantee, 1-year limited warranty, and lifetime customer support|
|Excellent wastewater/pure water ratio of 1:1.5|
|Excellent customer service|
This iSpring under-sink reverse osmosis water filter is capable of great things, especially if you mind your rusty and contaminated well water. This RO system features an incredible pure water/wastewater ratio, amazing price for its tech specs, and the entire water safety you desire. Besides cleaning your water of over 1,000 contaminants, pollutants, and impurities, it also sterilizes your water. Moreover, so you can enjoy the taste and freshness of pure water, the alkalization stage makes tap water a veritable fountain of health and youth.
7. Home Master Hydroperfection RO Iron Filter for Well Water
We have discussed this product a few months ago, but we feel it is important we remind everyone why it is still one of the best iron filters for well water money can buy! It is an under-sink reverse osmosis water filter with a permeate pump that reduces water waste in low-pressure applications.
It also features patented full contact technology that adds calcium and magnesium minerals twice during the purification process for great tasting water with a faster flow rate. Balancing the tech specs with the 5-years warranty and the device’s ability to filter iron and almost all imaginable contaminants in both city water and well water and you get a clearer picture of this well water filtration system!
Best For: IRON WELL WATER & CITY WATER
HI-TECH WELL WATER FILTRATION SYSTEM
HOME MASTER HYDROPERFECTION
- Up to 15 GPM flow rate
- 20,000 gallons filter capacity
- 6 months of filter life
- 9 stages of filtration: Iron pre-filter (1ppm); removes 99% of chloramines, chlorine, and chemicals, chromium, fluoride, pharmaceuticals, heavy metals, dissolved solids; removes 99.99% of microorganisms
- 16 x 20 x 12 inches
- 19.7 pounds
This Home Master iron filter for well water and city water is a great investment for any home and family wanting to drink fresh, clean, safe water. It also makes an excellent choice if you want mineralized water for your cooking needs. The technology is cutting-edge, the warranty is unparalleled, and you cannot find more enthusiast users’ reviews.
How to Buy the Best Iron Filter for Well Water: A Short Guide
We have talked about water filtration in length on previous occasions and we are sure you already know how to buy the best water filter for your needs, no matter its type. However, when it comes to iron filters for well water, you should factor in some variables and consider some things through. For this reason, let’s look at some points you need to know before you make a purchase.
Test the Water
As you know, you can use a few high-quality home water test kits to understand better what types of well water contaminants you have to manage. Nevertheless, we do recommend you test your water for iron and other contaminants with the help of a professional laboratory. We say this because a specific type of iron in water may not be visible to the naked eye – like rust is – but it still can be there. Depending on how much iron is in your well water you can also pick the correct iron water filter for your needs.
Types of Iron in the Water
The well water can contain multiple types of iron. Pick the well water filter capable to address your specific problem.
- Clear-water iron or “ferrous” iron is soluble in water and thus invisible for you. It will eventually gain a red shade after exposure to the oxygen in the air. A whole house iron water filter mixing carbon filters and other filtering media should do the trick just fine.
- If you wondered what is rust, then let’s give you the answer right here: Hydrated Iron (III) Oxide, also known as iron oxide (Fe²O³) is red-water iron or “ferric” iron (we all know by the name of “rust”). The first thing you should know is that it is not soluble in water. It comes from oxygen-rich water sources, already features shades of yellow or red, and, because of its gelatinous insoluble nature, it causes tremendous damages to your plumbing and appliances. A whole house water filter or an under-sink water filter for iron and rust are your best options here.
- Organic iron – you can find it in shallow wells, usually affected by surface waters. If you see it, you will notice its intense coloring and its capacity to leave hard-to-remove stains behind. It is also hard to remove by usual means and it requires sophisticated well water iron filters that mix several filtering media and RO technology.
- Bacterial iron – this water iron type is interesting because it is the result of iron bacteria. These bacteria reside in groundwater and shallow ground, easily infiltrating in your well water. They are responsible for turning ferrous iron into ferric one. If slimy rusty water is a problem in your home, it is also a good indicator that you have some bacterial infestation in the well and you might need a whole house RO system or, better yet, an under-sink RO well water filter with UV technology.
Well Water Filtration System’s Size
Besides the actual size of the device – which you need to find room for in your house or under your sink – you should consider the filter’s size or capacity. Usually, filters serve best a family of four, but if you manage a larger household, take your time and look for larger filters in advance and before you purchase any type of iron filter for well water.
Iron Filter For Well Water Installation
Many products come with manuals and installation kits, allowing you to do the work. Nevertheless, we recommend you call a professional plumber to fine-tune things, as nobody likes a leaking water filter or a UV bulb that does not work properly. Here are some installation tips you might want to consider:
- Retest the water for iron and other contaminants to make sure the iron filter for well water functions as it should. Inefficient removal of iron from your water may be an indicator of the filter system’s malfunctions. It could also mean you need to install another type of filter (POE or POU) to make sure there is no more iron and contaminants in your water.
- Follow the manufacturer’s maintenance instructions to the tee. Iron filters for well water do not come cheap. If you picked a whole house iron filter for well water with added technologies (such as UV filter or water softener/water descaler), maintenance should always be a priority.
Best Iron Filter for Well Water: Final Thoughts
We hope we helped you choose the best iron filter for well water to meet your needs. In case you want more details on well water filtration systems, don’t hesitate in dropping us a line in the comments section below! If you already use one of these products, we’d love to hear about your experience with it! Also, let us know if you want us to add an extended review to any iron filters for well water that interest you these days!