Many people buy a whole house water filter to enjoy clean and fresh water at home or their businesses, but most go for the best under sink water filter when they want to make sure they drink fresh, safe, and even enhanced tap water.
An under sink water filter has incredible environmental value as well: drinking crisp, clean sink water every day means giving up on water plastic bottles altogether, thus reducing the heavy toll plastic pollution takes on our planet.
How did We Choose Each Best Under Sink Water Filter for this List?
The best under sink water filter should remove in a high percent common and less common contaminants we find in municipal tap water and well water, purify the water, allow reasonable flow rates, and waste as little water as possible.
To sum up, we spent days asking manufacturers plenty of questions, checked users’ reviews, browsed the forums, and discussed details with experts in the field. It is how we came up with the following list of under sink water filters – with the amendment that we also handpicked a wide variety of products to meet most needs and wishes.
The Best Under Sink Water Filter of 2019 – Our Top 5 Choices!
|Product Name||Size||Weight||Filter Life||Flow Rate||Removes||Best For|
Home Master TMAFC-ERP Artesian Under Sink Water Filter
|12 x 16 x 20 inches||14.5 pounds||2000 gallons/1 year||10 – 15 GPM||98% of all contaminants||EDITORS’ CHOICE: Overall City Water & Green Living|
iSpring RCC7AK 6-Stage RO Under Sink Water Filter
|14.5 x 5.2 x 18.5 inches||20 pounds||2000 gallons/1 year||10 – 15 GPM||99% of over 1,000 contaminants||Severely Contaminated Water|
APEC Top Tier Supreme Alkaline Under Sink Water Filter
|7 x 15 x 18 inches||28 pounds||2000 gallons/1 year||Up to 5 GPM||99% of over 1,000 contaminants||Alkaline Tap Water|
Home Master TMHP-L Hydroperfection Under Sink Water Filter
|16 x 20 x 12 inches||19.7 pounds||2000 gallons/1 year||10 – 15 GPM||99% of over 1,000 contaminants + microorganisms||Well Water|
Woder 10K-Gen3 Under Sink Water Filter
|3 x 3 x 15 inches||2.85 pounds||10,000 gallons/3 years||2 GPM||99% of most contaminants||Price/Value Ratio|
Let’s see the five under sink water filters that made our 2019 “best of the best” list!
Best For: OVERALL USE CITY WATER & GREEN LIVING
INNOVATION TECHNOLOGY IN WATER FILTRATION
HOME MASTER ARTESIAN UNDER SINK WATER FILTER
- Up to 1 year of filter life or about 2000 gallons of water
- Full contact technology: Yes
- Reverse Osmosis: Yes
- Alkaline system: Yes
- 12 x 16 x 20 inches
- 14.5 pounds
|Removes||99% of chloramines, chlorine, chemicals, heavy metals, dissolved solids, pharmaceuticals, and other contaminants.|
|Eco Impact||Excellent. The wasted water / pure water ratio is 1:1. NSF-listed.|
Why Should You Buy the Home Master TMAFC-ERP Artesian Under Sink Water Filter?
After careful consideration, we decided this was the best under sink water filter for overall city use and green living altogether. Probably the most straightforward RO system to understand, use, and rely on, the Home Master TMAFC-ERP Artesian is a hi-tech wonder. In comparison to other RO systems, it features a modular filter design, where the filter and its housing come in a single unit and are disposable together. From a hygienic point of view, this is an excellent feature. But let’s see the other specs you will enjoy!
- 3-stage filtration for excellent contaminant removal;
- The re-mineralization process introduces healthy amounts of calcium and magnesium back in the water, also increasing its alkalinity;
- Reduces storage tank degradation
- The built-in non-electric permeate pump reduces water waste up to 80% while increasing water production up to 50%;
- The package comes with a fully assembled purification unit (including the RO membrane and filters), valve, chrome RO faucet, RO adapter, drain saddle, user’s manual.
- Made in the U.S.A;
- 5-year limited warranty for faulty materials and workmanship.
|Best use overall with extra points for eco-friendliness||You may need a plumber for installation|
|Excellent filter life|
|Great filtration results|
|Great price for the featured hi-tech|
|Outstanding users’ reviews|
As we said before, when we reviewed the best whole house water filters, Home Master is a reliable brand with great products meeting and exceeding users’ expectations. The Home Master TMAFC-ERP Artesian Under Sink Water Filter is the best product for city water on our list due to its fantastic tech specs, filter life, and ecological impact. The price is more than compelling for the results it provides. Even the shape, size, build, and weight of this sink water filter is top-notch.
Best For: SEVERELY CONTAMINATED WATER
COMPLETE RO UNDER SINK WATER FILTER + WATER SOFTENER
iSPRING RCC7AK UNDER SINK WATER FILTER
- Up to 1 year of filter life or about 2000 gallons of water
- Full contact technology: No
- Reverse Osmosis: Yes
- Alkaline system: Yes
- 14.5 x 5.2 x 18.5 inches
- 20 pounds
|Removes||About 99% of more than 1,000 contaminants, lead, chlorine, and fluoride, arsenic, asbestos, calcium, sodium, hormones, bacteria, giardia, viruses, and more.|
|Eco Impact||Medium. The wasted water / pure water ratio is 3:1. Lead-free brass faucet. WQA Gold Seal certified. NSF/ANSI certified.|
Why Should You Buy the iSpring RCC7AK 6-Stage RO Alkalization Under Sink Water Filter?
The iSpring RCC7AK 6-Stage RO Alkalization under sink water filter brings the best of both worlds of water filtration and water softening. A reputable brand with an extensive portfolio of efficient products, iSpring did not compromise when it made this sink water filter either. With its 6-stage filtration technology (RO and alkalization for great-tasting water), this is the best under sink water filter and softener combined. But there are other features to consider:
- The system includes 3 Pre-filters, 0.0001 microns (RO) filter, GAC filter, Alkaline Re-mineralization filter adding healthy calcium and magnesium to the water, also increasing water pH;
- The reinforced transparent 1st stage housing provides ease in visually inspecting the sediment filter;
- Leak-free system & online supporting videos;
- Live phone support during installation;
- The package comes with complete filter pack including alkaline filter, tank, water detectors, tubing, fittings, housings, wrenches, etc.
- 1-year money-back guarantee, 1-year manufacturer warranty, and lifetime technical support.
|Best RO alkaline under sink water filter and softener||You may need a permeate pump to reduce the water waste|
|Great filter life & filtration results||Some say the sink water filter contains undisclosed chemicals|
|Amazing price for an advanced RO system|
|Easy installation + live support from the manufacturer|
|Great warranties and customer support|
With enthusiast reviews, excellent price, and an outstanding brand reputation, the iSpring RCC7AK 6-Stage RO Alkalization model is the best under sink water filter if you want a water softener, a hi-tech RO water filter, and a mineral water provider all in one pack. Its only downside is the amount of wasted water, but you can fix it with a permeated pump. All in all, this is one of the best products on our list that also soften the water.
|Removes||99% of contaminants including arsenic, chlorine, lead, fluoride, heavy metals, bacteria, viruses, and 1000+ other pollutants.|
|Eco Impact||Good. The wasted water / pure water ratio is 3:1. 100% lead-free luxury designer faucet. FDA Certified JG Food grade tubing. WQA Gold Seal certified. For every purchase, APEC donates to clean water charities and initiatives around the world.|
Why Should You Buy the APEC Top Tier Supreme 6-Stage RO Under Sink Water Filter?
APEC is an American brand with substantial experience and reputation in water filtration. This heavy-duty model represents the best under sink water filter for RO alkaline water, as it adds US-made high-purity calcium carbonate to raise the pH of your water effectively. The 6-stage filtration is just one of the top features of the product, so here are the others we know you will enjoy:
- Built with super long-lasting 100% U.S.-made filters;
- JG Quick connect leak-free fittings, FDA approved materials, lead-free parts;
- Designed, engineered and assembled in the USA;
- The package includes the tank and everything you need for easy installation;
- Lifetime support and two-year manufacturer warranty with registration.
|Best RO alkaline under sink water filter for the price||You may need a permeate pump to reduce the water waste|
|Excellent filter life & filtration results||It may not boost water pH as you would expect|
|Easy installation||Works best for a smaller home/business due to the low flow rate|
|Safe parts and great certifications|
As you probably remember from our whole house water softeners guide, APEC is a company taking environmentalism very seriously – it donates to charities and organizations involved in bringing clean water to vulnerable communities. Nevertheless, the APEC Top Tier Supreme 6-Stage RO Under Sink Water Filter needs some tuning to waste less water. However, it is an ideally built and priced RO alkaline under sink water filter for a smaller home, office, or business. We chose it as the best under sink water filter for alkaline water, as it adds the right amount of calcium carbonate to make tap water a decade-lasting source of mineral water.
|Removes||99% of chloramines, chlorine, and chemicals, chromium, fluoride, pharmaceuticals, heavy metals, iron, dissolved solids, microorganisms, etc.|
|Eco Impact||Good. The wasted water / pure water ratio is 1:1. BPA free. NSF certifications.|
Why Should You Buy the Home Master TMHP-L Hydroperfection Under Sink Water Filter?
The next under sink water filtration system on this list also comes from Home Master, but this time, we chose a 9-stage filter perfect for well water. The Home Master TMHP-L Hydroperfection Loaded Package is everything you need regarding well-water filtration, reverse osmosis and UV-light sterilization, and then some! But here are the other features of this excellent sink water filter to enjoy:
- Nine stages of water filtration, purification, sterilization, and enhancement;
- Comes with permeated pump for less water waste and faster flow;
- Modular filter design for better hygiene;
- Comes with UV light technology for microorganisms’ neutralization;
- Removes contaminants from well water and then some;
- The patented Full Contact technology adds calcium and magnesium minerals to your water;
- 5-year manufacturer’s limited warranty.
|Best well water RO alkaline under sink water filter||Hard to install, you may need professional help|
|Excellent filter life|
|Ideal for health and environmentally concerned users|
|Excellent filtration/sterilization results backed by UV light and 9-stage filters|
The Home Master TMHP-L Hydroperfection Under Sink Water Filter is the ideal choice if you want to drink the healthiest well water possible at the lowest environmental impact potential. Your dream can come true with this item, as it is the best under sink water filter for well water. Besides complete contaminant removal and UV sterilization, you also get mineral water in every cup, as the OR alkalization system adds the exact minerals you need for nice, clean, healthy water every day. It is a bit hard to install, but given this item’s performances, we have to agree with all the enthusiastic users out there and say it is the best money can buy in its category
|Removes||Lead (99.9%), heavy metals, chlorine, chromium, mercury, VOCs, carcinogens, and other contaminants, as well as turbidity, odors, and bad tastes.|
|Eco Impact||Good. The wasted water / pure water ratio is 1:1. BPA free. NSF & ANSI, certifications.|
Why Should You Buy the Woder 10K-Gen3 Ultra High Capacity Under Sink Water Filter?
The last installment on our under sink water filter reviews list is the Woder 10K-Gen3 Ultra High Capacity Under Sink Water Filter. You should buy it if you want a no-fuss, exceptionally durable, slim, slick, and easy-to-use under sink water filter at an excellent low price. Imagine the best water filter pitcher but under your sink – so much space on your counter! Here are some features you need to consider as well to make an educated purchase choice:
- For longer filter life, use with municipal treated cold water only for drinking and hygiene;
- Does not require any plumbing;
- Comes with Direct Connect hoses, fitting standard 3/8” water valves under US kitchen and bathroom sinks;
- Does not work well with well, salty or softened water;
- Tested by independent laboratories to ANSI standards;
- Removes contaminants, odors, smells, bad taste, and impurities from drinking water;
- Package includes filter, head with a built-in valve, inlet hose, and outlet hose;
- Warranty upon manufacturer request.
|Best budget under sink water filter||Lowers the water flow rate|
|Long filter life||Works best with already sanitized city water|
|Great filtration results for city cold tap water||It may not last three years, according to some|
|Easy installation and use|
|Hassle-free eco-friendly option for plastic water bottles|
As we said before, the efficiency of a water filter, be it a whole house or under sink lies with the quality of the water you get in your home. The Woder 10K-Gen3 Ultra High Capacity under sink water filter works well for an average of 2 years with sanitized and rather clean cold drinking water you get in the city. If you do not mind the lowering of your flow rate and you want an affordable, hassle-free, good sink water filter, then this is the right product for you.
Understanding the Tech Specs and Features of an Under Sink Water Filter
When you look for an under sink water filter for your home, office, or business, you need to consider a handful of tech specs and features. We discussed a few of them when we presented you with the best whole house water filters – as water filtration on large or small scale works pretty much the same – but we will resume some information you need to factor in your purchase decision.
- Filter life. As you can easily understand from our under sink water filter reviews above, the longer the filter life, the better it is for you, as you can enjoy clean, safe water for a longer time.
- When you need to change the filter after a year (or 2,000 gallons, whichever comes first), you have to consider the money you spend with the replacement.
- Flow rate. We mentioned already that the average flow rate for a home of 3-4 people should be around 10-15 gallons per minute. The best product should not lower the flow rate in your home by much, although some do.
- In the case of Woder 10K-Gen3 Ultra High Capacity under sink water filter, for instance, users admitted it did lower the water flow in their homes but to an acceptable extent. A water filter with a 5 GPM flow rate is not a bad product, far from it, but you should consider it for a smaller household or business.
The Ecological Impact of Under Sink Water Filters
- Waste vs. Pure Water Ratio. This ratio represents the amount of water a filter consumes to deliver you a gallon of clean water with no impurities or contaminants in it. Ideally, the best item should feature a 1:1 ratio – for each gallon of consumed water, it should provide one gallon of pure water.
- When you read the under sink water filter reviews above, you saw ratios of 3:1. They are not bad, as back in the day, most water filters featured 5:1 or 6:1 rate, meaning a much more significant waste of water. If you choose such a product for environmental purposes in the first place, you should pick one with the smallest ratio available, as it amounts to great ecological impact.
A Few Words on Reverse Osmosis and Water Filtration
- Reverse osmosis. Water filters based on RO remove not only impurities, sediment, and contaminants from your water, but also minerals and other healthy particles.
- In short, while reverse osmosis water is not bad for people, it does lack minerals such as calcium or magnesium, which are essential for our health. For this reason, many professional RO filters (under sink or otherwise) feature a supplemental stage in their filtration, where they add back such minerals to your water.
- Full contact technology & storage tank degradation. Most RO systems produce demineralized water – as we saw above – that is extremely clean but slightly acidic. When this purified water sits in the storage tank, it slightly corrodes the rubber bladder in the tank, dissolving microscopic particles from it. It is what experts call storage tank degradation: a process that affects in time the taste of water.
- Therefore, to avoid this, the best water filter based on RO technology that you want to install under your sink should feature a permeate pump that balances the water’s pH at two or more re-mineralization points, preventing storage tank degradation and turning the water more alkaline for excellent taste.
What Else Should You Look for When Buying the Best Under Sink Water Filter?
A few other aspects to consider when you look to purchase such products are each item’s dimensions, and some other specs to watch out for before you click the shopping cart button.
- Size and weight. They matter a lot because you have to fit the filter and the tank (if there is one) under your sink or countertop. In other words, bulkier filters may require you some kitchen or bathroom remodels, and you have to introduce such costs in your budget sheet as well.
Choosing Water Filters Depends on the Quality of Your Water
- Contaminants. Unfortunately, our water is full of all sorts of pollutants and impurities, not to mention the ubiquitous hard water problems we have. Therefore, here are some criteria you should factor in your purchase decision:
- For city tap water, you should find a sink water filter with a reasonable flow rate and good capacity of removing the usual suspects.
- Well water, on the other hand, also contains heavy metals, industrial run-off, microorganisms, even bacteria or viruses, and other nasty contaminants. You should look for a specialized under sink water filter for well water in this case.
- The best product – depending on your water and needs – should remove around 98% of the known water contaminants.
- If your water is rather clean and you want even cleaner water, you can go for an affordable, no-fuss under sink water filter with 3-5 stages of filtration. In this case, RO tech is not necessary.
- Hard water may require one of the best water softeners on the market that we discussed already.
- For excellent water taste with no odd smell, impurities, and glass stains, opt for one of the best water filter pitchers we discussed a while ago. Moreover, you can even pair the pitcher with the under sink filtration system for better health and eco-friendliness.
- If the water is terrible, go for the under sink filters with 5+ stages of filtration and other hi-tech specs, or for the best whole house water filter that matches your needs.
- Price. When you read our under sink water filter reviews above, you probably noticed some products come with interesting price tags. In short, under sink water filters, especially those in the hi-tech department, do not come cheap because they are indeed quite proficient at what they do and usually feature in the package everything you need to install and use the product.
- However, it does not mean that a cheaper product is of low quality. When you check the price of the products, make sure you understand what that price reflects. RO systems and filters mineralizing the water are a bit more expensive, for obvious reasons.
How do You Choose Your Best under Sink Water Filter?
Do you already have an under sink water filtration system and you want an upgrade, or are you just at the beginning of your quest to buy the best under sink water filter for home, office, or business? Would you rather use one of the products above, or do you find it more comfortable (and cheaper) to use a water filter pitcher? Tell us what you think about the items we listed here and whether you have other similar ones to include in our top!