Using the best whole house water filters help you in your environmental protection endeavors, besides helping you enjoy clean and safe water for drinking, washing, and bathing. These systems come with plenty of primary and secondary benefits for you, your home, and our planet.
Main Advantages of the Whole House Water Filters
- Decreased usage of plastic water bottles and chemical waste reduction.
- Decreased petroleum consumption for plastic production and transport.
- Increased efficiency of appliances by reducing scale and sediments.
- Safer, healthier water for drinking and cooking which lacks heavy metals, suspicious odor and taste, pesticides, and more.
A whole house water filter also protects the plumbing and appliances and is especially suitable for large homes and families interested in saving water, money, and health.
How Did We Choose the Best Whole House Water Filters for this List?
To offer you this list of best whole house water filters, we talked to people involved in their testing, asked the forums, and gathered information from users. This research led to this present piece on whole house water filter reviews and fact sheets.
Our Top 5 Choices of Whole House Water Filters
Here are our top 5 choices of best whole house water filters you should consider for your home or business this year!
|Product Name||Flow Rate||Filter Capacity||Filter Life||Micron Rating||Efficiency||Best for|
iSpring WGB32B 3-Stage
|15 GPM||100,000 gal||1 year||5||95%-98% removal of sediment, chlorine, rust, pesticides, herbicides, industrial solvents, VOCs||Overall water filtration|
Home Master HMF3SDGFEC-3-stage
|15 GPM||100,000 gal||1 year||1||95% removal of iron, manganese, sediment, sulfur||Well Water|
HMF2SMGCC Whole House 2-Stage
|10 GPM||95,000 gal||1 year||1||99% removal of chloramines, chlorine, lead, mercury, nickel, chromium||City Water|
3M Aqua-Pure – AP903
|20 GPM||100,000 gal||1 year||5||95% removal of sediment, rust, chlorine, taste, odor||Large Homes & Heavy Water Consumption|
Apex 3-Stage Whole House – MR-3030
|15 GPM||20,000 gal||6 months||1||93% removal of fluoride
99% removal of lead, mercury, nickel, chromium, bacteria, algae, fungi, and scale
Let’s see the 10 best whole house water filter systems we chose for this list, their features, pros, cons, and purchase suggestions. Remember to contact the manufacturers in case you have more technical questions about the installation, spare parts, filter changes, and more. Before you begin, make sure you remember how water filters work in general and what water filtration technologies work best for certain types of water contaminants.
1. iSpring WGB32B Filter
|Efficiency||Successful in removing up to 95% of rust, chlorine, pesticides, herbicides, industrial solvents, volatile organic components, metals, and other contaminants.|
|Additional features||NSF/ANSI standards 42 & 53 testing; affordable replacement systems and parts; reliable and responsive customer service.|
|Warranty||One-year limited manufacturer warranty and 30-day money-back policy.|
Why choose the iSpring WGB32B Whole House Water Filter System?
The iSpring WGB32B is the best choice to clean municipal water – if tests showed it contained pollutants -, able to fit the bill in safety and health for a family of 4-6 people living in a medium-to-large home.
- You can install the system in the main water supply on your own if you have the tools and some skills;
- The first stage of filtration keeps your plumbing free of sediment and debris, while the 2nd and 3rd stage removes impurities with the help of the coconut shell and CTO carbon filters;
- It features separate pressure release buttons, so filter changes are more comfortable;
- The package includes a black metal bracket, 3 large housings with caps, 3 filter cartridges, and a 4.5-inch housing wrench.
|Low maintenance||May leak, so you should use Teflon tape during installation|
|Increased flow rate and filter life||Does not soften water; get an extra water softener if your water is particularly hard (TDS above 700 PPM)|
|Excellent filter efficiency for city water|
|Will not remove the healthy minerals from the water|
The iSpring WGB32B is a fan favorite when it comes to turning city water with extra chlorine into a clean and safe resource. It is a 3-stage filter capable to eliminate up to 98% of municipal water’s sediment, chlorine, chloramine, or pesticide/herbicide residue. It improves water taste and odor, also leaving your skin and clothes soft.
2. Home Master 3-Stage Filter
|Efficiency||Successful in removing up to 95% of heavy metals, hydrogen sulfide, agricultural and industrial runoff, etc.|
|Additional features||NSF-listed manufacturer; 3-rd party compatible and affordable spare parts; excellent customer service.|
|Warranty||Two-years limited warranty.|
Why choose the Home Master HMF3SDGFEC 3-stage Whole House Water Filter System?
The Home Master HMF3SDGFEC 3-stage is the best whole house water filter for well water to meet the needs of a large home with a family of 4-5 members who don’t like the smell and taste of metal water. This whole house water filter, however, does not work well with chlorinated water (you mostly find in the city).
- The 3-stage system based on replaceable carbon fiber filters provides clean drinking water for a family of 4-5 people up to one year before it needs replacements;
- It provides purification of well water against contaminants such as agricultural runoff or heavy metals;
- The package contains filters, steel mounting bracket with bolts, housing wrench, and an instructions manual.
|Low maintenance||Features a few plastic fittings that might leak; make sure you secure the installation with Teflon tape|
|Excellent water pressure and flow||Expensive replacement filters|
|Best choice for well water cleaning||It does not include a UV purifier|
|You can find cheaper compatible replacements from 3-rd party manufacturers||Installation is tricky due to size and weight; have a professional give you a hand|
The Home Master HMF3SDGFEC 3-stage filter gives you the most bang for your buck if your well water and agricultural runoff are of concern. Its high efficiency and ability to provide high-pressure clean water to all your faucets and appliances makes it the best whole house water filters for well water on this list.
3. Home Master 2-Stage Filter
|Efficiency||Treats iron, manganese, sulfur smell, and taste; it removes chlorine, chloramine, soluble heavy metals (lead, mercury, and copper).|
|Additional features||KDF85/catalytic carbon filter; bacterial and chemical resistance; NSF-certified components; multi-gradient density disposable residue filters.|
|Warranty||Two-years limited warranty.|
Why choose the Home Master HMF2SMGCC 2-Stage Whole House Water Filter System?
If you want pristine water for drinking and cooking (and most families with small children do), then the Home Master HMF2SMGCC 2-Stage is the hi-tech device meeting your standards in water purity. It is one of the few such systems on the market tested for successful chloramine removal. It works best in the city, and it poses a few maintenance problems.
- You can install the system by yourself. The steel mounting bracket enables you to mount the unit on 16-inch studs easily;
- It connects with your home’s main water line;
- It is one of the most robust models on this list of whole house water filter reviews, built for durability;
- The package comes with a fully assembled Home Master system with filters, steel mounting bracket with bolts, housing wrench, and user’s manual.
|Low maintenance||Some plastic fittings may leak so you need Teflon tape for good measure|
|Good water pressure, stable water flow, and long filter life|
|Successful in decontaminating tap water up to 99%|
If you wonder which are the best whole house water filters for your daily water needs and an environmentally friendly lifestyle, the Home Master HMF2SMGCC 2-Stage is hard to beat. In comparison to the other Home Master model, this whole house water filter works great with city water. It is especially useful if you want to give up plastic bottled water. Its 2-stage purification systems eliminate chloramines, chlorine, chemicals, heavy metals, and other contaminants from the water you use for consumption and cooking.
4. 3M Aqua-Pure Filter
|Efficiency||95% removal of sediment, rust, chlorine; significant improvements in water taste and odor.|
|Additional features||Quick and easy installation; materials are FDA CFR-21 compliant.|
|Warranty||One-year limited manufacturer warranty.|
Why choose the 3M Aqua-Pure AP903 Whole House Water Filter System?
The Aqua-Pure AP903 is the best whole house water filter system for high and stable water flow in a house with significant water consumption. It works great if your water is relatively clean and you want a no-nonsense easy-to-install filtration system.
- It features a “sweat in place” type of installation and a non-corrosive stainless-steel head;
- The Sanitary Quick Change (SQC) design permits quick and comfortable cartridge changing without the need for a wrench. Some say replacement takes up to 5 minutes with no tools involved;
- The package includes a mounting bracket;
|Straightforward installation and easy maintenance||Does not fare well with highly polluted water; you should also install a pre-filter system upfront|
|Helps with the restoration of consistent high water pressure||As time passes, the overall water pressure in the house may weaken|
|Removes sediment, rust, and chlorine|
|WThe slim design allows installation in small, narrow spaces|
If clean, non-smelling, and crystal-clear water is your main priority for a large house with a history of heavy water consumption, then the 3M Aqua-Pure AP903 is the whole house water filter for you. Quick and sanitary installation, an affordable price, and no-fuss maintenance are the main benefits of this system. It has an exceptionally high flow rate and the highest of them all. It means it is the perfect choice for a large home with multiple bathrooms and a complex plumbing system. Another great benefit is that the charcoal filter removes dirt, rust, sediment, and chlorine.
5. Apex 3-Stage MR-3030 Filter
|Efficiency||99% removal of chlorine, soluble metals (lead, mercury, nickel, chromium), iron, chloramines, THM, TCE, volatile organic compounds, insecticides, pesticides, industrial solvents. Efficient in the control and prevention of bacteria, algae, fungi, and scale buildups.|
|Additional features||NSF Certified; acid-washed; quick-change cartridge design.|
|Warranty||Upon request from the manufacturer.|
Why choose the Apex MR-3030 Whole House Water Filter System?
The Apex MR-3030 is a pricey contender, but it makes the go-to solution for clean and healthy water in restaurants, cafes, offices, business headquarters, and residential homes.
- The design is robust with little maintenance required;
- The filters reduce fluoride by up to 93%;
- The package includes a mounting bracket.
|Easy installation||Pretty expensive|
|Maintains good water pressure and flow||Customer service is lacking|
|Excellent water sanitation efficiency||Low capacity – the filters need frequent exchanges|
|Good choice for food-centered businesses|
This Apex MR-3030 is the reflection of homework done right by the manufacturer. This whole house water filter features a mix of KDF85 media and organic coconut shell activated carbon able to remove 99% of water-soluble metals and other contaminants. It is the go-to choice for heavy clean water consumers in public alimentation – restaurants, fast food joints, cafes, etc. Of course, it works very well with your small home as well.
6. Watts WH-LD Filter
|Efficiency||Removes water dirt, sediments, and rust.|
|Additional features||Built-n by-pass valve; NSF certified; clear housing allowing you to see the filtered dirt and debris and helping you decide when to change the filter; stainless steel inserts increase leak-free installation and product durability.|
|Warranty||One-year limited manufacturer warranty.|
Why choose the Watts WH-LD Premier Whole House Water Filter System?
The Watts WH-LD Premier filtration system has the best price/value ratio among all the whole house water filters on this list. Customer support is also great, and you can even upgrade the system to meet your needs.
- The system fits all common household plumbing;
- It offers protection to your washing machine, refrigerator, water heater, ice-maker, water softener, and other appliances from sediment, dirt, and rust buildup;
- You can install 50-micron filters in all three cartridges, or you can begin with the 50 microns one and continue with a 25 and a 10, respectively for more water cleaning;
- The package includes a 50-micron sediment filter, two bonus 50 Micron filters, a ball valve, and wrench.
|Slim design, able to fit in any small/narrow space||You need plumbing skills for the installation; most recommend to hire a professional plumber|
|Unbeatable price||Works best when paired with a pre-filter and a water softener|
|Worthy water filter for clean city water||Does not come with a mounting bracket (sold separately)|
|Sturdy and resilient to cracks|
|Reliable customer support|
The Watts WH-LD Premier whole house water filter’s mission is to upgrade your life. It is the second most affordable installment on this list. According to the manufacturer, you can upgrade it (equally accessible) into becoming a 3-stage filter. It allows you to enjoy cleaner water and protect your appliances from rust and dirt.
7. EcoPure EPWHE Filter
|Efficiency||Removes dirt, silt, sand, chlorine, water taste, and odor.|
|Additional features||Patented Flow and Capture Technology (FACT); NSF certification; encased filter design.|
|Warranty||Two-year limited manufacturer warranty.|
Why choose the EcoPure EPWHE Whole House Water Filter System?
The EcoPure EPWHE is your best choice if you want to cleanse the water in your apartment/small home without giving installation or filter change a second thought. On this list of best whole house water filters, this is the most seamless when it comes to installation and maintenance.
- Designed to match common household plumbing;
- It comes with a pivotal design allowing you easy filter replacements. It also comes with an automatic bypass valve and encased filter design – no tools required for filter changes;
- If you install it before your water heater or water softener, it will protect the plumbing and appliances from sediment and silt;
- The package includes a central system, EPWHEF filter, mounting bracket with screws, installation adapters, clips, vent tube, and installation manual.
|Seamless installation||It may leak so you need Teflon tape|
|No-tools filter replacement||Does not soften the water|
|Great for apartments and small homes||Small capacity|
|Great customer support|
The EcoPure EPWHE whole house water filter is suitable for people who do not necessarily have plumbing skills when it comes to installation or maintenance. If a no-mess, no-fuss, no-stress whole house water filter is your top priority, then you should look into the EcoPure EPWHE model. The innovative design, 5-micron rating, and surprisingly low price are all reasons to give this device a run for its money.
8. APEC CB1-CAB20-BB Filter
|Efficiency||Active carbon filter to ensure successful removal of heavy sediments, chlorine, taste, odor, and VOCs.|
|Additional features||NSF certified; leak-free polypropylene cap with standard 1-inch FPT ports for US industry-standard copper & PVC plumbing pipes.|
|Warranty||One-year limited manufacturer warranty.|
Why choose the APEC CB1-CAB20-BB Whole House Water Filter System?
The APEC CB1-CAB20-BB mixes a striking mix of durability and versatility. The massive 20-inch housing, the excellent filtration capabilities (paired with high water flow), and the no-leak design turn this whole house water filter into a go-to choice for homes and especially gardens or small food & drinks centered businesses.
- It provides clean, fresh, and odorless water for cleaning (edible products, your body, clothes, kitchenware, and linen). Chlorine and sediment-free water for organic gardening;
- When you buy something from APEC you enter their donation program oriented towards bringing clean water to vulnerable people around the world;
- The whole house water filter uses a radial flow granular activated carbon (GAC) cartridge;
- The package includes a free wrench and bracket.
|Heavy-duty filter with high capacity, long life, and ease of use||Does not remove sulfur smell from water|
|By buying the filter you help vulnerable communities to gain access to clean water||Does not soften the water|
|Great money/performance ratio for mid-sized families, beverage shops, small restaurants, gardens|
With a price that won’t burn a hole in your pocket but with all the durability you want from a whole house water filter, the APEC CB1-CAB20-BB brings the best of both worlds regarding heavy-duty and versatility.
9. CULLIGAN WH-S200-C Filter
|Efficiency||Removes dirt, sand, and silt from plumbing.|
|Additional features||NSF/ANSI 372 and NSF/ANSI 42 standards certification; a clear design so you can see the status of the filtration; 3/4″ inlet/outlet for increased water flow.|
|Warranty||Upon request from the manufacturer.|
Culligan is the go-to brand when you want robust and reliable devices. If you feel your water has issues, we also recommend you to test it with the Culligan Essential Water Test Kit or other water tests of your choice!
Why choose the Culligan WH-S200-C Whole House Water Filter System?
The Culligan WH-S200-C is the most affordable heavy-duty whole house water filter on this list. The NSF/ANSI 372 and NSF/ANSI 42 certifications offer you the peace of mind you need that the device cleans water thoroughly.
- One of the primary drawbacks of this device is that it does not include the actual filter, which you should buy separately. The good news is compatible filters come cheap, and your bottom line will still be happy with all the additional costs for a heavy-duty system;
- You can find 5 different filter cartridges with varying capacities and pour sizes compatible with the device so that you can fine-tune this whole house water filter to your needs;
- The package contains a housing wrench, mounting bracket, filter life monitor and filter battery monitor.
|Well-built device for heavy-duty uses||Prone to leaking, so get plenty of Teflon tape|
|Does not cause water pressure drops||The bypass valve may need lubrication as it is hard to turn|
|Proper protection of pipes and appliances against silt, sand, dirt, grime||Does not come with the actual filter, but you can find compatible ones at low prices|
|Increases appliances’ energetic performance||Filters may require more frequent replacements|
The Culligan WH-S200-C whole house water filter is a reliable device for heavy-duty use in case you want an excellent mix of durability and versatility when it comes to keeping your plumbing and appliances pristine.
10. DuPont WFPF13003B Filter
|Efficiency||Removes dirt, sediment, chlorine, and impurities in the water.|
|Additional features||Universal 500 Series Poly Block Cartridge compatible with most whole house water filters on the market; extends the life of water-processing appliances.|
|Warranty||Three-year limited manufacturer warranty.|
Why choose the DuPont WFPF13003B Whole House Water Filter System?
The DuPont WFPF13003B is the best in the bunch for chain reactions. You can get 3 or 5 of them, install them in a row, and adjust the filters from 25 microns to 1-micron water filtration. Alternatively, you can make your 2-stage device with a sediment filter followed by a carbon one and pack a big punch against city impurities you usually find in your water.
- Each filter can take up to 15,000 gallons of water, which is a good number considering the system’s price;
- The device comes with 3/4 inch inlets, outlets, and 10″ cartridge;
- Works best with cold water, so install it before your water heater;
- The package includes a mounting bracket and instructions.
|No need for plumbing knowledge or skills when installing it||Not efficient with city water (let alone well water) when used as a single filter|
|Works in chain reactions with different types of filters||Does not remove fluoride from water|
|Suitable for tight budgets, small homes, and offices||It does not feature a robust build. Plastic elements might crack and leak|
|Affordable even when you opt for a 5-pack set||Does not soften water|
This second-to-last entry on our best water filter list to consider this year works very well when you install it in a chain. By itself, the device does not do a great job in comparison to its peers we already analyzed. However, it is a respectable addition to your home if your interests lie with protecting the plumbing and enhancing your appliances’ performance.
11. Express Water Heavy Metal Whole House Water Filter – 3 Stage Home Water Filtration System
Best For: HEAVY METALS
Whole House Water Filtration System
Express Water Heavy Metal Whole House Water Filter – 3 Stage Home Water Filtration
- 15 GPM flow rate at 45-80 PSI
- 100,000 gallons
- 6-12 months filter life
- 3 filtration stages
- 23.5 x 8.5 x 29.2 inches
- 65 pounds
|Efficiency||Removes remove Chlorine, Iron, Rust, Lead, Pesticides, Mercury, Dirt, Sand, Viruses, Fungi, Sulfur, Insecticides, Chloramine, Silt, Turbidity, Aluminum, Copper, Volatile Organic Chemicals (VOC), Herbicides, Cadmium, Copper, Hydrogen Sulfate, Nickel, Chromium, Cloudiness, and Odors from your drinking water.|
|Additional features||High quality 100% food-grade materials; Tested and verified to meet NSF / ANSI standards; Each housing is connected with industrial bonded high capacity flow connectors.|
|Warranty||1-year warranty and lifetime support.|
Why Choose the Express Water Whole House Water Filter?
This water filter comes with excellent reviews and it deserves its rightful place among the best whole house water filters of 2020. Once you understand better its tech specs and features you will see what we mean. So let’s take a closer look at this product and its capabilities!
- The major advantage of this whole house water filter resides in its specially engineered high flow filtration design. It allows you to enjoy safe, clean drinking water from any faucet without you experiencing the dread of water pressure drops.
- You can cook and shower without enduring high levels of chlorine and other heavy metals.
- The filter protects your appliances from dirt, rust, and chemical contaminants.
- The whole house water filter features 3 housings, made from high durability food-grade ABS and PCE plastic;
- For easy installation, you will enjoy the freestanding stainless steel frame;
- You can easily see when your filter needs replacing due to clear 1st stage filter housing;
- The pressure gauge monitoring for each filter;
- The first stage of filtration is your sediment filter, followed by Kinetic Degradation Fluxion filter, and followed by an Activated Carbon Block filter.
|One of the best whole house water filters for heavy metals||Pricey|
|Free lifetime support||Requires professional installation|
|Easy maintenance||Does not soften water|
This last entry on our best water filter list to consider in 2020 is an excellent device to clean your water of heavy metals and other water contaminants and impurities. It does a wonderful job when it comes to water flow. Maintenance is straightforward. Users’ reviews are more than enthusiast and we wholeheartedly recommend this unit for large homes dealing with heavy metal contamination.
Understanding the Whole House Water Filters’ Tech Specs and Features
Let’s discuss the tech specs and features addressed for each of the individual whole house water filter brands and models reviewed above so that you can make an educated choice.
The standard for the proper water flow rate is around 10-15 gallons per minute (GPM). For bigger homes and families, the higher the GPM, the better. You will find whole house water filter systems with lower GPM numbers. It does not mean they work poorly; it just says they are more suitable for smaller homes or businesses.
Measured in gallons, it shows the amount of water you can filter until the filters require replacements. If you want to estimate your water consumption, calculate an average of 100 gallons/person/day.
The higher the capacity (measured in gallons), the longer the life of the filter. For instance, a filter with a million gallons capacity will last for 10 years for a family of three.
A whole house water filter system can filter water in stages, using multiple types of filters. The more filtration stages a device has, the cleaner the water becomes.
Microns measure the efficiency of your whole house water filter. Essentially, a small micron rating means more thorough filtration. However, tiny micron ratings also indicate extremely low water flows. Standard micron ratings are 1, 5, 10, and 25. Many of the best whole house water filters feature low micron ratings and high water flow rates. You should look at micron ratings when you consider investing in reverse osmosis water filters, although in their case, the number of filter stages is equally important.
Either you look for a city or well water filtration system, it should be able to remove sediment, chlorine, chloramines, iron, and manganese. If you want one to filter well water in particular, you should look for a system capable of removing pesticides, heavy metals (like iron), herbicides, and other agricultural run-offs.
As a word of advice, there are multiple ways of removing iron from your water.
Our advice is to look for specific iron filters for well water – as this is where you will find the largest quantities of iron.
Some of the best whole house water filters also feature UV filtration to remove bacteria and germs from the water, salt-free water softeners, and more. While whole house water filters do not present usually UV filters, you will find such devices in reverse osmosis filters.
Measured in years and offered by the manufacturer. As you know, the more extended and comprehensive the warranty is, the safer you are.
Best Whole House Water Filters FAQs
We hope you found this list of best whole house water filters helpful for you to make a wise choice for your family, your business, and the environment. However, before we wrap up our guide here, let’s answer some of the most frequently asked questions regarding whole house water filters!
1. What Are the Best Whole House Water Filters?
To sum things up, the Home Master HMF3SDGFEC-3-stage is the best whole house water filter for well water, while the Apex MR-3030 is an ideal choice if you want a whole house water filtration system for a public alimentation centered business. They are all excellent choices to reduce your carbon footprint, limit plastic pollution, and increase the energetic efficiency of your appliances. We also recommend the Express Water Heavy Metal Whole House Water Filter for the reduction and elimination of heavy metals in water. One of the best choices on the market when it comes to water filtration systems is the iSpring WGB32B Filter for overall use.
2. How do you choose the best whole house water filter?
Before you buy a whole house water filter you need to know these are Point-of-Entry systems. They filter the water before it reaches your faucets. In other words, such filters clean and sanitize the water you use not only for drinking but for cleaning, showering, cooking, etc.
Here are some criteria to consider before you buy such a system:
- The types and concentrations of your water contaminants as you get them after you tested your water;
- The technology employed by the water filtration system. Usually, whole house water filters use activated carbon filters, KDF, sediment filters, etc. You will also find reverse osmosis whole house water filters, although they are a bit rarer on the market.
- The size and functions of the water filter. Make sure it fits in your home, as some of these units are large and heavy. Discuss with a professional plumber about the installation;
- The costs and maintenance of the filter, as you need to add such calculations as well before you buy a unit;
- The warranty is crucial when it comes to the purchase of such systems.
If you want to know more about how water filters work and which is the best option for your needs, check this guide on water purification!
3. Are whole house water filtration systems worth it?
In short? Yes. If you rely on well water and you experience the problem of the American water contamination crisis, you know whole house water systems (and some additional filtration and water purification units) are mandatory to preserve your health and prolong the lifespan of your appliances. If you rely on municipal water for your needs and you have enough room to install such a filter, we recommend you do it. For your peace of mind, the health of your family members and pets, and for the sake of the environment, whole house water filters can improve your life like no others.
We truly hope this guide helped you make a shortlist of contenders for the best whole house water filter to buy this year! If you want more reviews and recommendations, do not hesitate to contact us!
Also, share your thoughts with us. Do you currently use a water filtration system? Which type of water filter do you use and what water filtration technology do you find the best? Have you made up your mind? Leave a comment below and share your experience!